Tuesday 3 November 2015

New York and Oklahoma October 2015

As I am writing this my family trip to America feels like a lifetime ago. Back in Northern Ireland the leaves definitely are more yellow than green, the clocks have gone back and the nights are closing in. It was a shock to my system to go from toasty Stillwater to chilly Belfast but I have to admit autumn is my favourite time of year. 
It had always been the plan to go and visit my brother Conall at his college in America. But with training and university stuff this always felt like a bit of a dream. I was delighted when my family finally set the date to head out to Stillwater Oklahoma. I was even more delighted when I could go too!! 
I have taken a year of leave from uni to focus on my training for athletics, so of course I can go to America for two weeks in October. 

New York skyline from Statue of Liberty

Although this was my parents main break for the year I have already had mine so honestly training was the priority. But in between that of course I want to go and check out the food scene and local shops.

Lots of bean to bar chocolate in Mast Brothers Brooklyn

Brunch at Cookshop in the Lower West Side

We spent a week in New York before heading to Stillwater. Conall had pre warned us that there isn't much to do in Stillwater and it's a long way to go for a weekend so we spent a week in New York first. 
It was great we got to surprise my mum when Conall arrived on a Friday evening to join us in New York for the weekend! My dad let it slip 4 times but she still didn't catch on and her reaction was great. We never really surprise my mum and Conall has never been to New York before so we combined both and had a great weekend. 



The moment we surprised my Mum


Flat Iron Building family photo

I have been struggling with some injury issues since mid August. My first proper run was only a few days before we left and it was lovely to run around Central Park and begin my 2016 journey. It all felt very significant and emotional that I was starting my campaign for the summer in such a magical and amazing place. Well sort of... in my head the sun was shining.... In reality the weather was worse than Belfast. Luckily it did dry up and the sun made an appearance for the last few days of our time in New York. 

Skyscrapers and trees in Central Park when the sun came out

On one of those beautiful days we rented some elliptigo bikes. This had been on our agenda in New York for a long time. As some one who is always looking for other ways of training I have had my eye on the elliptigo for a while. It is basically an elliptical trainer but on bicycle wheels! Which would be a godsend as I find cross training indoors awful, I like fresh air too much. You are able to pay monthly and hire one from a company in the UK but I didn't want to do it without trying it out first and there is no better place than Central Park! 




Elliptigo riding in central park- Such fun

Central Park has wide cycle and running lanes that meander through the park but It can get pretty busy with cycle tours, runners, tourists and horses (yes really). I think we chose the time that 3 cycling tours started. Our inexperience combined with wobbly tourists on bikes was never a good combination but I found the elliptigo easy to get the hang of. When my dad first started using the elliptigo, myself, boyfriend Johnny and mum were literally rolling on the ground laughing. I wish I could have captured my dads expression.. It was priceless. 
I probably better explain this when you are on the eliptigo you are quite high up and standing up right. It has bicycle handles but you use your legs like you are running. This alien combination combined with my dads grinning expression and lack of grace made for my sides splitting every time I looked at him. That is the best thing about the elliptigo I couldn't help but smile when I was using it. Yes children were pointing and shouting "WHAT IS THAT?!??" but I am assuming it was because it looked like great fun.. And it was. All round a 10/10 for the elliptigo. 

Of course we did the usually touristy things but I won't bore you with the details. And of course I researched lots of good places to eat. I think I had my family tortured with going to trendy restaurants but it meant we didn't have a bad meal.... And I hate bad meals!! As I was training I was still trying to eat well (only chips once per day). Most people may find it surprising that in the land of burger and fries was generally easier to chose healthier options in New York than good old Northern Ireland. Saying this Food in New York was very different to food in Stillwater Oklahoma but both were great simply for different reasons. 

Johnny and I at the Rockefeller Centre on a grey day 

Artsy photo at the Top of the Rock- Empire state in the background


We flew from New York to Oklahoma City in the smallest plane I have ever been in... Even I couldn't stand up in it. It probably only seated 30 people, we could see the pilot and there was one air hostess. It was great we stepped off the plane and it was warm!! You could smell the heat and the crickets were chirping which always brings me back to holidays of my childhood. It was dark when we arrived which I always find annoying, I want to see the place I have just arrived into. As we were flying over I couldn't believe the vastness of Oklahoma City, and how the city lights form a grid. The layout of towns are very different In Northern Ireland where our roads follow the landscape, curving around and meandering through the country. American roads are straight and direct ploughing through the countryside. 

Okay so the low down on Stillwater. I was expecting it to be brown and dry looking but it was very green with lots of trees which I was quite surprised by. It is quite a rural part of the world. Drive a few miles outside the town and there are endless farmland and cattle ranches. It is extremely different to the hustle and bustle of NYC. The people are nicer and everything is a lot slower and more relaxed. Even the people talk slower here! As I am sure you can imagine a Northern Irish accent is difficult to understand because we talk so fast so at times people were looking at us like we were a different species. Needless to say we stuck out like sore thumbs. 


OSU Cowboys mascot- Pistol Pete


It was great to finally see where Conall had settled. My mum and I really struggled when he first left home because we couldn't picture where he was. I always joke that I forget he is so far away so it was nice to finally be able to picture him somewhere. 
Let me tell you something. My little brother is brave. He left home to study in a country he had only visited once before, to a town he had never seen or understood and didn't know a soul. He also went with only 1 suitcase which is impressive. If I was packing up for American college I would probably be trying to bring my kitchen aid and food processor, oh and not forgetting the kitchen sink. On a serious note it is sometimes difficult to comprehend that he is the one living an independent and adventurous life. At the same time I am very certain that the decision to stay at home for university was the right one in terms of my athletics career due to the support from my parents and family. I am afraid I think I might be too selfish in terms of my athletics to survive within the team environment of the college track and field system.


Chilling in Stilly- Vintage car parade on Main 



The facilities at OSU were staggering. Literally staggering. These dedicated student athletes get world class facilities and support on a daily basis. The athlete gym set up is better than any I have seen in the UK or Ireland. The track and field team have an amazing club house that is so new they have to take their shoes off before going in! The club house also has the perfect recovery tools on hand such as hot and cold plunge pools, massage therapists and recovery drinks. At the track they also have a state of the art alter G treadmill. To have access to this in Northern Ireland you have to be receiving top tier support from the sports council and accompanied by a Physiotherapist at all times!! I was also extremely impressed with the regular student gym. Every student at OSU gets membership to the gym included with their tuition. I personally think it is amazing that the college has invested in student fitness and well being. Unfortunately I feel UK and Irish universities don't necessarily value this like the Americans. 


Boone Pickens 60,000 seater football stadium


One other extremely positive aspect to life as an American student is college pride. The whole of Stillwater is decked out in the college colour, orange... Even the old ladies of the town wear orange with pride. Everywhere you go people are proud of OSU and Stillwater. In particular the American Football team provides much pride and its truly admirable that a community comes together in such an exciting and spirited way. I find it sad that we don't have something like this where the community comes together is such a large way. After all we would probably get stuck at which flag to use in Northern Ireland!!


Our time in America came to an end at the right time. I felt rejuvenated and ready to head home for a good training block but at the same time I didn't want to leave Conall and the comfortable warmth of Stillwater. 

Since returning home my training has been going well and I am almost pain free which is an amazing feeling. I was also cheered up by a wee New Balance winter clothes drop. Currently loving running around in beautiful purple and yellow. This week I also turn 22! I am looking forward to spending some time with my family this weekend. 

New  Balance kicks- Time to go home



Have a GREAT week,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment