Monday 29 June 2015

We are not ladies who brunch... We are strong women who brunch

Following extreme disappointment last weekend in the England U23 champs at Bedford last week I decided to do things that I really enjoyed. I went for lunch with my friends, had a spontaneous lunch with Johnny, did my first Pilates class overlooking strangford lough, ran some different routes and topped it off with Sunday brunch at the little pink kitchen. 

    The table at Little Pink Breakfast Club 

I have 'liked' the little pink kitchen on Facebook for a couple of months now and I love when one of Sarah's witty posts pops up on my news feed. I was so intrigued by her Brunch club which is held in her home. The food looked like my kind of food and I jumped at the chance when she posted that some spaces had become available for brunch this weekend. 

I brought my friend Jill along and we were both a tad worried that going to a strangers house for breakfast... may be slightly dangerous.... But I feel this adds to the effect of food clubs along with the worrying prospect of making polite conversation with strangers. Luckily our fears were not met and we were greeted by the host with the most, Sarah's husband "Mr P". 

I don't think I was quite prepared for the group of women I was about to meet. We took our seats around a large communal table and were offered drinks and introduced to a few of our most intimate neighbours. Chat was polite and Jill and I had a lot of catching up to do so we did just talk among ourselves for a while. 

Apart from some oohing and ahhing as the menu board was brought out the chat was constant. All thoughts of awkwardness were forgotten and Jill and I loved sharing some stories with the women around us. 

             The brownie with tasty   
     chocolate sauce and sour cream 
                      SO GOOD 

Caroline from the popular Belfast Food Tours persuaded us to do the usual "tell us your name and a little bit about yourself...". This is literally my most hated activity in a room full of strangers. But after some encouragement of "women need to boast a bit more" we all shared a bit about ourselves. I always feel a wee bit embarrassed and I tried my best not to blush! 

I was surrounded by business owners, an academic, cancer charity workers, a teacher, a writer, bloggers and to top it all off woman of the year. It was possibly the most interesting group of people I have ever had the pleasure of being in company with. 

We talked about women in Northern Ireland, Airbnb, sport, adoption, cancer and of course food. I had a realisation moment that I was so very lucky to have been surrounded by an amazing bunch of people and how crazy it can be that our paths crossed. 

So thank you to my brunch group for opening my eyes and making me thankful for being alive!! This was more than just brunch, it was an experience I won't forget. I would truely recommend Sarah's little pink breakfast club... Although I can't promise your group will be as amazing as mine was!! 

Book here at 
http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/sarah-p-8042630061 or check out Little Pink Kitchen on Facebook for upcoming event details. 

What we ate- 
The food lived up to expectation and then some. I had run that morning and hadn't eaten yet so I was starved and wolfed down the whole lot. 


- shallot and thyme potato cakes 
- bacon 
- roast pepper compote
- sweet potato mayonnaise 
- slow roast tomatoes 
- rocket 
The potato cakes were more what I would call a rosti- they were crispy on the outside and perfectly cooked. 
Sweet potato mayonnaise- SAY WHAT? Such a revelation. Slightly sweet and creamy. I piled this on as I am a sweet potato addict
The pepper compote and roasted tomato provided the acidic tang that rounded it all off. I definitely ate more than my fair share of the compote, I am such a condiment and sauce fan. 
Bacon is well bacon and who doesn't like that!! 

The brunch was finished with a chocolatey brownie. The brownie was the perfect balance of chew and goo which is hard to achieve. The brownie contained ground almonds and hazelnuts (I think) and this is great for flavour and texture. 

The best way to spend a Sunday morning. Thank you Sarah! 






No comments:

Post a Comment